Prayer of the Faithful - Funerals
Prayer of the Faithful
- Read by: family or friends – to be chosen by the family
- Read after: the priest gives his Homily
- Choose: Usually 4 are chosen, but up to 6 prayers (intercessions) can be selected – one prayer only from each of the sections (1 to 6) listed overleaf.
- When indicating your selected prayers – please write, e.g. 1b, 2c, etc.
OPTIONS for Prayer of the Faithful
- For the one who has died
- For N., a Child of God and heir to the kingdom, that he/she may be held securely in God’s loving embrace now and for all eternity. We Pray to the Lord.
- That God in his mercy may blot out all N’s offences, establish him/her in light and peace, and call him/her to happiness in the company of all the saints. We Pray to the Lord.
- That God will receive our praise and thanksgiving for the life of N. We Pray to the Lord.
- In baptism, N received the light of Christ. Let us pray that God will now scatter the darkness and lead him/her over the waters of death. We Pray to the Lord.
2. For the bereaved family
- May the family and friends of N seek comfort and consolation. Let us pray that God will heal their pain, and dispel the darkness and doubt that come from grief. We Pray to the Lord.
- For the family and friends of our brother/sister N that they may be consoled in their grief by the Lord who wept at the death of his friend Lazarus. We Pray to the Lord.
- That all of us, N’s family and friends, may be comforted in our grief. We Pray to the Lord.
- For N’s family (especially wife/husband, mother/father, brother/sister of the deceased), that they may feel the healing power of Christ in the midst of their pain and grief. We Pray to the Lord.
3. For the assembled mourners
- For all of us assembled here to worship in faith, that we may be gathered together again in God’s kingdom. We Pray to the Lord.
- We are assembled here in faith and confidence to pray for our brother/sister N. Let us pray that God will strengthen our hope so that we may live in the
- expectation of the coming of Christ. We Pray to the Lord.
- That the Lord Jesus who blesses those who mourn and are in pain will look upon N’s family and friends who gather around him/her today. We Pray to the Lord.
4. For others who have died
- That God may welcome into glory those of our family and friends who have departed this life, (especially). We Pray to the Lord.
- Many friends and members of our families have gone before us and await the kingdom. May God grant them an everlasting home with Christ. We Pray to the Lord.
- Those who trusted in the Lord now sleep in the Lord. Let us pray that all the faithful departed will find in God refreshment, rest, and peace. We Pray to the Lord.
- For all those who have fallen asleep in the hope of rising again, that they may see God face to face. We Pray to the Lord.
5. For causes or organisations appropriate to the deceased
- That God will grant release to all those who suffer from … We Pray to the Lord.
- For the doctors and nurses at … who cared for N, that their works of service may be richly blessed. We Pray to the Lord.
- N fought for peace and freedom. May he/she now rest in peace and may people everywhere live free from oppression. We Pray to the Lord.
- For the work of …., that those who are left will carry forward that for which N so generously laboured. We Pray to the Lord.
6. For other needs
- That those who bear the cross of pain in mind or body may never feel forsaken by God. We Pray to the Lord.
- Many people die by violence, war, and famine each day. May God show mercy to those who suffer so unjustly these sins against love, and gather them to the eternal kingdom of peace. We Pray to the Lord.
- For all parents who grieve over the death of their children, that they be comforted in the knowledge that their little ones dwell with God. We Pray to the Lord.
- For those who cannot find hope and who live in the darkness of despair. We Pray to the Lord.